Wednesday, February 9, 2011

in praise of

Margrethe Mather and Edward Weston by Imogen Cunningham






Margrethe Mather. Looking at some dearly loved black & white women photographers today. It all started this morning when I saw the sale of Picasso's 'muse' at $39.9m. Curious about the subject of this painting, I soon found that Picasso had many talented women in his life whose art was in the shadow of his celebrated own. My wanderings soon took me to the subjects of photographers and to Mather, whose work has much to celebrate. 

2 comments:

Amy Prior said...

At first I thought it was a Margaret Cameron but no! It is an intriguing image with so many different readings!

Suzi said...

At the risk I might have raved on about this to you before - have you checked out Lee Miller? Some beautiful portraits. Another in the shadow of a monolith - Man Ray - but i think she did a lot of his work and invented the solarisation technique, he got the credit of course.

i remember seeing her in the Cocteau film Blood of a Poet ...ahh the luxurious dreamy days of art school with time to contemplate. Another world away now but thanks for the reverie