Saturday, November 15, 2008

Beautiful weeds

There is a vacant block of land near our home. A beautiful 1920's red brick bungalow once stood there but it was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for a group of units. Two years on and the block is still empty and wild grasses and weeds have settled in where the roses and geranium bushes once grew. Last evening while on a walk with my older daughter we decided to explore the block, to check for any treasure left behind like maybe an old matchbox car, a piece of pretty jade green ceramic bathroom tile or a marble or two - the usual stuff. Nothing at all had been left behind as evidence of the people that had lived there over the last 80 years or so. We started to take notice of the many different types of weeds and grasses and how they looked in the dimming light. They were interesting and some of them were very pretty. Today I went back and took cuttings (not to plant). Over the next couple of posts I will include many of them. The last pic looks like something from the ocean.

7 comments:

Amber said...

Oh Julie, Once again perfect pictures...
What a lovely idea to think you would go and search for some remains of the life that was once there.
The wild plants that grow have there own story it would seem.
Look forward to more pics as always...xxx

Chrissy Foreman C said...

Hi Julie, once again you have touched my heart with your unique way of seeing the owrld. I only hope I can share such meaningful moments when I have children :)

Amy Prior said...

i have tears in my eyes. Your gorgeous images have brought up recent memories of a visit to my grandmother's house demolished, and like her, gone. I balled my eyes out like a lunatic and searched madly for some sign of her life there for 60 years. As yet I havent been able to write about it but reading your very similar thoughts and experiences has prompted me to think about approaching the subject. :-)
there is a wee present called Blue for you I couldnt think of a better person for this to go to (if you would like it that is!)

Michelle said...

Beautiful xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
Just beautiful as always, I have just caught up with your recent posts and instantly feel at peace, thanks for that!

Julie said...

Thankyou for all of these generous and also heartfelt responses x.

Heloise said...

I love the lacyness of these.